[plug] Help with DNS

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Fri Apr 27 10:27:06 WST 2001

Hiya,

I'm looking at hosting a second domain on the same machine that I already
have a domain setup  & configured for.

I have a few issues and think I've overlooked something simple ..

To have duplicate mail, web and NS services, I thought the steps were:

BIND 8.2.3:
Add a new zone to my /etc/named.conf and appropriate file in /var/named with
the same RR's as the first but with the different domain name, then restart
named
Notify my seconder of the new zone

Sendmail 8.10.1
For simplicity, add a virtusertable entry of @newdomain.com.au  localuser

Apache 1.3.9-4
Add a <VirtualHost> entry with it pointing to the directory of where the new
site is.

My named spits saying :
Apr 27 10:25:27 paradigmit named[20181]: newdomain.com.au:2: SOA for
"newdomain.com.au" not at zone top "newdomain.com.au.\032"

Any ideas?

Zone file is:
$TTL 86400
newdomain.com.au.       IN      SOA     newdomain.com.au.
admin.newdomain.com.au. (
                        2001042710
                        86400
                        3600
                        1209600
                        38400 )
;
; I am my own name server.
;
        IN      NS      newdomain.com.au.
        IN      NS      ns1.telstra.net.
;
; Aliases of my system.
;
www     IN      CNAME   newdomain.com.au.
mail    IN      CNAME   newdomain.com.au.
ftp     IN      CNAME   newdomain.com.au.
ns1     IN      CNAME   newdomain.com.au.
;
; Machines on my network
;
newdomain.com.au.                       IN      A       203.47.21.101
;
; Here's where the mail goes
;
newdomain.com.au.                       IN      MX      10 newdomain.com.au.