[plug] Serial port fun

John Breen wombat at redback.apana.org.au
Sun Apr 29 19:16:14 WST 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Kai wrote:
> The 4 port serial card should've come with some doco, right?
Doco....

That's that piece of paper, right?

> More than likely need to run cat /proc/pci and see where the addresses are
> so you can get Linux to see the ports and use them.

Oops, my fault - like many people it seems I didn't give enough details in the
first place...

It's a jumpered card (not Shrug 'n' Pray), and it's ISA.

We plugged in the card, did a kernel compile with extended serial support, (for
more than 4 ports) and rebooted.  No sign of the ports.  After much hunting
around, we did a mknod to get 4 devices to show up.  So far so hoopy.  Then we
did setserial for each of the ports (like this)
# setserial /dev/ttyS4 irq 15 uart 16550
# setserial /dev/ttyS5 irq 12 uart 16550
# setserial /dev/ttyS6 irq 10 uart 16550
# setserial /dev/ttyS7 irq 9 uart 16550

now, ignoring the obvious IRQ conflicts here, that says that the first port is
COM4 with an IRQ of 14, the second COM5 with IRQ 12 and so on.  Am I right?

This is how the card is jumpered up, and should work as far as I can tell...

> As far as I know the SUNIX-4 port cards are ok to set-up, but I was able to
> successfully set-up another type of 4 port PCI card (forget the brand now,
> since it was a while ago.) for dial-in use on a Red Hat machine.

That's exactly what I want to do, I just have a ISA card rather than a PCI - no
free PCI slots :(

--
Regards,

John Breen

| John Breen                                         |
| Contracting Delphi Developer                       |