[plug] Debian: removing unwanted doco files

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 2 10:26:22 WST 2001

Hello.

Just upgraded a Debian slink (2.1) to potato (2.2r3) box using
apt-get.  Plain sailing and painless until I did a df and found 32KB left
in my usr partition.  I started with 30-odd megs free there.  Didn't take
long to find that a lot of extra documentation has been placed in
/usr/doc/* most notably a new directory HOWTO.

I'd welcome the extra doco were it not for limited disk space.  I figure I
can get rid of the HOWTO directory and its contents without breaking
anything but what about things like foreign language messages?  For example
the directory /usr/share/locale always contained a lot of foreign language
files, now there are even more.  Again, presumably the unwanted ones can be
removed without breaking anything but it never hurts to check with wiser
heads than mine.

An "apt-get clean" had a wonderful effect on disk space in the other
partition (everything is there except for /usr) and "apt-get auto-clean"
did not have anything to offer for /usr either.

For my benefit, and for other potential upgradees, is there something I can
do in future upgrades via apt-get (or dselect?) to control the loading of
documentation?  Apt-get man pages show that it has increased options over
its earlier cousin but I cannot find anything relating to documentation
package control.

TIA,
Denis