[plug] Gdk errors

Russell Keith-Magee Russell.Magee at calytrix.com
Fri Aug 3 08:53:06 WST 2001

> Could anybody please offer insight into what this message means? I get it
> when running most X apps, most don't mind. Some die altogether.
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

This is a very common error associated with running Gnome/GTK applications.
I can't remember the exact cause, but IIRC it has something to with a wierd
i18n/l10n (internationalisation/localisation) setup under X. On most
systems, no language/locale is set, so GDK defaults to the glibc default
(called "C", but US English in reality). However, on most systems, this
locale isn't set up the way GDK expects it to be (can't remember exactly
how/why).

The fix is to explicitly set your locale by setting the environment variable
LANG to one of:

LANG=en
LANG=en_US
LANG=en_UK

depending on preference. These locales should be set up on most
RedHat/Debian installs.

A Google search on the error string spits up hundreds of matches. Like I
said, it's a very common error.

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
Software Engineer
Calytrix Technologies
Unit 9, EIR Building, Technology Park
PO Box 1173, BENTLEY 6982, Western Australia

Tel: +61 8 9362 5300
Fax: +61 8 9362 5400
Mobile: 0408 928 379