[plug] Debian Woody?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Aug 3 22:47:32 WST 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 05:40:01PM +0800, Arkem wrote:
> Does anyone have any information about Debian Woody?
> Things like, when it'll be released, what version of X it'll use, what
> kernel it'll be using, whether or not KDE will be available with it etc...

The release plan for Woody is in the debian-announce archives at
http://lists.debian.org/. There are four phases to the release: policy,
base, floppies, and then all other packages. Phase one ended about two weeks
ago. Base bugs now have priority (anything on package that are mandiroty to
install, like libc6, login, etc).  See:

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0106/msg00014.html

Kernel: 2.2.19 most probably. However, there *are* 2.4 packages; I am
currently running 2.4.7 from unstable and 2.4.6 in the testing distribution.

X Windows: 4.1.0 has just been moved to unstable. I think that will make it,
otherwise 4.0.3. The deciding factor is the number of bugs that are found
in the packages, how severe they are, and how quickly they are resolved.

KDE: yes, Woody will have KDE packages. There are more than 90 KDE packages:
kpresenter, kword, etc.

Apache Version: 1.3.20, I think. OpenSSH version 1.2.9p2, so support for
SSH protocol 2 (as the default over SSH 1!). OpenSSL 0.9.6-b. At this
point in time, there are package of Mozilla 0.9.1, but I am sure that this
will be upgraded given 0.9.3 has just come out (there are CVS builds
that are updated much more frequently - apt-get install mozilla-browser-cvs).

Anthony Towns, a Queenslander IIRC, is running the Woody release as its
Release Manager. ETA is around November, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Debian believe completely in the Open Source release model; she'll be done
when she's ready, and not a moment sooner. To quote Dilbert:

	"I love the sound of deadlines as they go wooshing by"

This release has been decided on by AJ as version 3.0; it's his call as RM,
and he is of the opinion that the changes are significant; glibc from libc
and other milestones. I recommend anyone to troll though the archives for
debian-devel-announce, which is very low volume and good signal-to-noise.

Looking at the release notes for the July 22 boot disks, there is only
support for ext2. Some people have been making their own disks with
ReiserFS/ext3/XFS support; I presonally have been using reiser for several
months now with no problems and lots of benifits (speed, no fsck, etc).
I haven't used these disks; has anyone on the PLUG list had a chance,
and if so, what did you think?

I'll try and get more information together for a PLUG meeting on September
where I'll be discussing Debian Packaging, and Nick and I will probably
babble about Debian Conference 1, release plans, etc. We may even tell
you about some of the newer stuff, like Debian Press (books by Debian
developers), silly Cypto regulations for master.debian.org, and so forth.

As always, the latest information on Debian is either on the mailing lists,
or on #debian at irc.openprojects.net (when you "/join #debian", ask the
robot called "apt" about the news with "/msg apt news").

  :)

  James
PS: We had too much whisky in Bordeaux, mainly because the label said
"Double Woody", "Extra Woody", etc. ;)
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html