[plug] E-Smith and server setup - comments?

Nathan D natdan at pobox.com
Mon Aug 6 11:01:01 WST 2001

Hi all,

I have toyed with linux on and off over the years and have been very happy
since replacing my Win95/NAT box with SmoothWall.  (Some will say SW is
limited in use, but it is a firewall only and for that is works great).  My
next step now is to have a login/mail/games/etc server for my little
network.  From what I have read E-smith seems to be a popular "already
rolled" solution.  Any comments on pros and cons?
Some documentation I have read refers to having a network setup so all
traffic travels in/out of the firewall, then thru the server, and then to
the rest of the internal network.  Is such a requirement necessary for a
small home network?
I am setting up a machine for my son and am wondering about some sort of
internet access control ie certain times only, or being able to isolate if
required?  Presumably I would have to use the firewall -> server -> network
setup as mentioned above to have this control?

All comments appreciated.

regards,
   Nathan

.   natdan at pobox.com   .     /     \