[plug] Computer insecurity

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 7 14:06:33 WST 2001

On Tue, 07 Aug 2001, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> > Someone posted a query about a paper that he is writing about security, and,
> > narrowing it down to Internet security.
> >
> > I have today found that Mudrock has compromised the security and privacy of
> > all of its students, by implementing a change without doing it properly, and,
> > without thinking about the consequences.
>
> Have you actually sent your concerns to people at Murdoch? Perhaps:
>  - Office of Student Services
>  - IT Security Administrator
>  - The Library
>
> Although I can't speak for the Library system (I've heard rumours that it's
> being worked on though), I *believe* OSS are trying as hard as possible to
> phase out the Exam Results on Board practice. ie; The next exam periods,
> results will only be online, and in the post.
>
> --
> . Trevor Phillips             -           http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/ .
> :: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
> | IT Services                       -               Murdoch University |
>  >------------------- Member of the #SAS# & #CFC# --------------------<
> | On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of     /
> | course. But mostly evil, on the whole.                             /
>  \      -- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)                          /

I believe that the original message that I posted about this, did mention that
I had sent it to various people of significance at Murdoch (spelling okay, now,
Christian? ;) ).

I also got a completely misleading response from someone at the IT Helpdesk,
who completely misrepresented the situation, so as to lull me (and other
students) into a false sense of security.

Any security risk is massively aggravated, by technical staff who misrepresent
the risk as not being present.

Bret Busby