[plug] Computer insecurity

Andrew Francis locust at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 7 19:27:45 WST 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Bret Busby wrote:
> I have grave concerns about the imposition of the new student email system,
> which uses student numbers of students, instead of student names, for email
> account names.

Curtin is still relying upon the use of names and numbers. Their approach
to the problem is pretty much "don't put the name and number together
anywhere". Lecturers have to make a point of telling students not to email
their student number to someone - name + student number == bad news.

I really, really wish Curtin would adopt some sort of serious approch to
security in this area. For crying out loud, my student card has my name,
date of birth and student number on it in an easy-to-steal form.. all it's
missing is my phone number, of which the last four digits are used as a
PIN in some situations.

Boneheaded.

--
Andrew Francis