[plug] Computer insecurity

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Aug 8 10:59:16 WST 2001

Andrew Francis wrote:

> I really, really wish Curtin would adopt some sort of serious approch to
> security in this area. For crying out loud, my student card has my name,
> date of birth and student number on it in an easy-to-steal form.. all it's
> missing is my phone number, of which the last four digits are used as a
> PIN in some situations.

Really? Murdoch's Student PINs were based on Date of Birth.
One of the driving forces of the changeover to the "insecure" system (as some
have dubbed it) was to re-issue every student with a new PIN which isn't
deriveable, to increase security.

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :