[plug] POP3 servers

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Sat Aug 11 22:14:44 WST 2001

Clinton Butler wrote:

> k.. try to understand... I know hardly anything about linux...
> I need someone to give me instruction on how to setup a POP3 server

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you hardly know anything about
Linux you should not be setting up a public POP3 server.  The kind of
questions that you are asking are fine questions to ask for a beginner
(well, except that you might get a few people yelling RTFM at you) but
they are not the kind of questions that should inspire your friends'
confidence in your ability to entrust their private mail to your
safekeeping.  Normally the administrator of a public Internet server
will know the basics of networking, system administration and - most
importantly - security.  Your questions indicate that you are not quite
at that stage yet.  You need to run before you can walk.

I could tell you how to set up a POP3 server, but I get the impression
that would be like handing an L-plate driver the keys to a Porsche.  I
am not being elitist here, I am trying to help you to help yourself,
which is the best way for a beginner to learn.  Before you even think
about doing what you have planned, I strongly recommend you read
(preferably from beginning to end):

* The System Administrators Guide
  URL:http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/sag/index.html

* The Network Administrators Guide
  URL:http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag2/index.html

* The Linux Administrator's Security Guide
  URL:http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/lasg/

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au> http://malcolm.wattle.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)