[plug] RE: Sound Card

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 14 21:40:22 WST 2001

Hiya Clinton,

Two points

1) Patience is a virtue. The people here are infact providing a service for
free, and usually outside of business hours. Life demands that we balance
work, rest, play and family or we lose one of the above.

2) Please trim the signature :-) CodeRed is taking enough bandwidth as it
is...

OK On to the problem at hand.

The main tool to test sound is 'saytime'. It sends the time in audio direct
to /dev/dsp. No mixers or other stuff to get in the way. If that works
properly then 'your sound card works perfectly' as a device, the software
may have problems. If it skips, then there could possibly be an IRQ
conflict.

After that, I'm busy reading from manuals on debian. <shields up> As for as
I'm concerned debian is a wonderful server, but lags behind the RPM based
distributions for *general* home/workstation use. <shields at 60%> The
debian system is suited to reliability over ease of use except in it's
package management</shields down>

Once you know where you stand there, e-mail the list back with a more
utiltitarian message.

Regards,

Craig Foster