[plug] Mail Delivery options

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Aug 15 11:05:36 WST 2001

I'm looking at upgrading an aging Solaris/Sparc box to Debian/Sparc. The basic
OS is set up (suprisingly easily - it's scary!), and now I'm on to the
"extras".

The old system included in its functions Sendmail combined with cyrus-imap and
procmail to receive mail, filter server-side, and dish it out via IMAP. It also
has a pile of mail lists and other mail-related things where delivery is
handled by a script.

I'd like to get away from sendmail, and also change from cyrus to the UW imap
server, and while I'm at it, gain some extra functionality. I'm considering
switching to "qmail" for delivery, as someone illustrated that it can easily be
used for wildcard mail aliases. Apart from this, is "qmail" an all-round decent
mail deliverer? Are there any Gotcha's? Does anyone have any other recommended
ones over qmail (and if so, why)?

Thanks...

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :