[plug] ADSL failover

Justin Hall justin at inwa.com.au
Wed Aug 15 11:13:14 WST 2001

Quick clarification.

The modem has an ethernet port. You setup a static ip on your server/computer -
with a default route to the static ip address assigned to your ADSL link/gateway
(and a route back to your network, for all 192.168.1.0 addresses etc - if you
have 2 or more NICs, MASQing etc).

So it basically it acts like a LAN connection to the net. Just plug and go. You
don't need to tell the modem to do anything, as soon as it is connected to the
line it links up with the dslam (or what ever it is called) at the other end
(telstra exchange) - your link is up.

Justin