[plug] ADSL failover

Gavin Corfield gavin at twobluedots.com.au
Thu Aug 16 09:19:27 WST 2001

Simon Scott wrote:

>         Thanks for the reply Glen
>
>         We are still putting a failover modem on the box, but with the
> glowing reports of iinet adsl we wont bother automating it and just give the
> guy a cheat sheet so he can bring it up if adsl fails.
>
>         BTW, maybe you can answer this, which distros does iinet support
> when installing adsl?
>
>         We ended up installing a *bare* RH 7.1 installation with Squid and a
> few other things. The machine already has 2 network cards.
>
>         Do you guys insist on installing your own network cards?

When I got my iinet adsl fitted all that happened was they plugged the
modem in, connectted it to a laptop and attempt to ping the gateway at
the iinet end and their dns.  Then they give you your IP and gateway IP
with netmask and go away.  Given that the modem just forms an ehternet
bridge any OS should do.

gavin