[plug] ADSL failover

Glen Lewis kisa at kisa.com
Sun Aug 19 21:55:06 WST 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Simon Scott wrote:

> 	Thanks for the reply Glen
>
> 	We are still putting a failover modem on the box, but with the
> glowing reports of iinet adsl we wont bother automating it and just give the
> guy a cheat sheet so he can bring it up if adsl fails.
>
> 	BTW, maybe you can answer this, which distros does iinet support
> when installing adsl?

Not actually sure - its the customer service division who arranges the
onsites, but given the fact that you just need to set up the ethx
interface, it shouldn't be too hard.  I suspect however that most Linux
users (changing now however) can do that themselves (or know someone who
can help them).

> 	We ended up installing a *bare* RH 7.1 installation with Squid and a
> few other things. The machine already has 2 network cards.
>
> 	Do you guys insist on installing your own network cards?

I can't for the life of me wonder why we would.  The contractors are
pretty cool however, and I am sure that their attitude would be - if it
works, why mess with it?

> 	Thanks for the response, its a pity iinet dont offer affordable home
> adsl :)

Its always a bit disappointing when you can't compete in every
market.  iiNet has a policy of only entering markets which it can make an
iota of profit - the home aDSL market is not one of those.  We will
continue to try to provide a competative service in those markets we can -
in this case the business customers.

Glen