[plug] Sound Card Setup

garry bigbadbill at dingoblue.net.au
Fri Aug 17 17:14:59 WST 2001

Clinton,

This is a little long, so excuse me please.

whether someone on the list likes you or not is not an issue. We are here to
help each other, and all "reasonable" requests are answered. I am quite sure
there would be some here that don't like me, but i am sure if they approach
me we can sort it out verbally (OK, preferably verbally 8^)==  ). Such is
life.

Reasonable means that you have really tried to understand the process with
which you are having trouble... RTFM. Read the FAQ. Search the net for HOWTOs
or tutorials. Rest assured, at least a million others have asked the same
question before, and a few take the time to explain how they got out of
trouble..

And most importantly, don't get (or make it look like) you are pissed off
with ppl here because your Linux box won't play as expected. Noone here is
responsible (on the payroll) for your warm inner glow with Linux, that comes
with the satisfaction of accumulating knowledge and accumulating good
references for answers. Get an exercise book and write down how you solved
problems, you will soon have a valuable personal reference.

As has been explained, if you are finding Debian tough, use RH 7.1 or
Mandrake 7.2. M7.2 has matured, and once updated this distribution is pretty
foolproof. Mandrake 8.0 is out, but i can't vouch for a lack of bugs.

If kernel v 2.2.18 or whatever does the job, use it. If you want the IPTables
or other features of a 2.4 kernel, se la vie. It IS NOT critical to have the
latest kernel.

Regards,

Garry.