[plug] slowdown probs

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Mon Aug 20 13:21:31 WST 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 01:06:34PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, John Knight wrote:
> > This is such a newbie question that I'm almost ashamed to ask it, but how
> > come new distros always run like bollocks on an old Pentium?

Erm... because it's old?  :)

Seriously, if you're running Gnome or KDE, that will definitely
explain the problem -- they tend to be quite resource hungry.  I've
recently rediscovered that WindowMaker is quite nice.  Being able to
login in 10 seconds again is great.

Otherwise, you might like to check that you're running an accelerated
X server -- ensure that whatever graphics card you've got is supported.
A bad ISA graphics card can kill X as quickly as no CPU or memory.

> Huh? And how exactly do bollocks run? Too fast to believe? Not at all?
> Did you just make that up?  Are you a newbie to the English language?

Sounds perfectly fine to me.  I'd suggest watching more Red Dwarf  :)

--
 Leon Blackwell                | And the robot says: "In the begining
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | was man.  Man created all things.