[plug] slowdown probs

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Mon Aug 20 14:11:53 WST 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, John Knight wrote:

> This is such a newbie question that I'm almost ashamed to ask it, but how
> come new distros always run like bollocks on an old Pentium? Is it to with
> the latest kernel needing to be compiled or something to do with XFree86,
> what?

1) KDE and GNOME are big and slow, don't use them on old computers

2) Make sure you arn't running 100 default services that Red Hat and
Mandrake like to do (like postgresql???)

3) remove ldconfig from the startup scripts. You don't need to do this and
with lots of librarys takes ages (esp with slow hard drive). Simply run
ldconfig after installing or upgrading any library

4) remove depmod -a from startup. Default installs typically install 100's
of modules onto the hard drive and take forever for dependacies to be
redone. Simply run depmod -a when new modules are installed

5) recompile your kernel and include only what you need.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au