[plug] slowdown probs

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 20 14:54:25 WST 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, John Knight wrote:
>
> > This is such a newbie question that I'm almost ashamed to ask it, but how
> > come new distros always run like bollocks on an old Pentium? Is it to with
> > the latest kernel needing to be compiled or something to do with XFree86,
> > what?
>
> 1) KDE and GNOME are big and slow, don't use them on old computers
>
> 2) Make sure you arn't running 100 default services that Red Hat and
> Mandrake like to do (like postgresql???)

Strange - I have no problems running RH6.2, on a Cyrix 6x86.

I also run PostgreSQL (sometimes), without any problems.

I also run Star Office 5.2. It may take a minute or two, to load, but, it does
not appear too slow to me, unless I have Star Office and about 12 Netscape
windows open.

Methinks it could be a problem of insufficient rams.

How many rams does the old pentium have in its flock?

I have 32MB of rams in my flock, and, mine moves along okay...

How many legs does a bollock have? maybe that is the problem? ;)

Bret Busby