[plug] Virtual Console colours

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Wed Aug 22 15:44:59 WST 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 10:50:04PM +0800, Clinton Butler wrote:
> I was just wondering how I change the colours of my virtual console... I
> wan to have a black background (already done as default) but with lime
> text (instead of white)...
> where do I do this?

I think there's a program that will do it more nicely, but I just found one
way to do it without any special programs....

 From the console, do:

# echo -e "\033[44;37;22m"

(then type "clear" or hit control-L to clear the screen with the nice new
colour scheme)

That will change your colours to a blue bg, white fg - ... to refer to the
colour codes so you can pick the colours you prefer (44 == blue bg, 37 ==
white fg, 22 == normal text style - I think you need to specify all three),
see console_codes(4).

(that means, type "man 4 console_codes" in case you don't know. :)

NB. I don't know what colour lime is, but I'm sure you can pick whatever's
closest to what you want. You may have to try a few.

BTW, you might want to have a read of the "Linux Newbie Guide", I found it
in there. Useful, as someone else had just been asking me how to do this. :)

http://sunsite.dk/linux-newbie

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/