[plug] slowdown probs

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:10:18 WST 2001

To all those of you that are thinking that the human ear can only hear 44
khz, you're wrong. This was what was found in the 80's when CD audio was
being developed but has been proven to be incorrect in the last few years.
What the scientists at the time didn't account for was that the inner-ear
can make out some more frequencies too.

This spurred on technologies like the Sony Super CD and eventually DVD audio
which runs 48 khz.

Yes, there are problems in converting CD to mp3. Those of you that have used
CDEx (I hope I got the caps right) would know that there is a high quality
setting with the warning "May cause ringing artifacts". I've tried this out
before and most of the songs DID have them.

Anyway, you'll notice that on a low bitrate mp3 (say 128), it sounds "dirty"
in comparison to high bitrate one (192 onwards). I'm NOT an expert on this
sort of thing (I've got a brother that's in the know with this stuff), so
that's all I can bring to the discussion I'm afraid.

John Knight