[plug] slowdown probs

garry bigbadbill at dingoblue.net.au
Thu Aug 23 13:05:11 WST 2001

I haven't seen the reference from the 80's mentioned, but from my electronics
days...

The reason that a sample rate of 44khz is used is that to sample a signal,
the sample rate must be at least twice the highest frequency to be recorded.
That means that even 2.001 times the top frequency would do it.

An upper limit of ~20 khz is heard by young children. As we are likely to
experiment with industrial noise, mowers, mufflers and Deep Purple, it is
pretty much certain that this won't get any better....

So 2 X 20 Khz = 40 kHz, and then a bit, = ~44khz. I think it was Sony who
developed the CD, and they decided on that.. (I'll stand correcting on the
decision bit)..

I had my hearing tested in my 20's, and I couldn't hear much past 16kHz.

I haven't thought about why mp3 goes up to such high sample rates, maybe the
reconstructed audio from digital sources needs a higher rate due to  it not
being an original analog signal. FK.

Garry.