[plug] Installfest 2001 - Announce & Details.

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 23 11:18:48 WST 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, James Bromberger wrote:

> PLUG   -   PLUG   -   PLUG    -    PLUG   -   PLUG   -   PLUG   -   PLUG
>
> 			Perth Linux User Group
> 		     http://www.plug.linux.org.au/
>

> 				presents
>

> 		    I N S T A L L   F E S T   2 0 0 1
>

> 	Date: Saturday 25th August, 2001
> 	Location: Hackett Hall, University if Western Australia, Crawley
> 	Cost: F R E E ! Nothing. Zip. Zero.
> 	Time:    * For volunteer installers 8:00am
> 		 * For other volunteers     9:00am
> 		 * For attendees	   10:00am
>

> # man installfest
>
> installfest(1)                 PLUG InstallFest              installfest(1)
>
> NAME
>   installfest - a gathering of experienced users to help those starting out
>

> DESCRIPTION
>   InstallFest 2001 is being held at UWA's Hackett Cafe, on the Northern end
>   of the (main) Crawley campus, this Saturday. The date is specifically
>   significant: it is the nationwide InstallFest day for all major Linux
>   User Groups (LUGs). It also marks the 10th anniversary of the first
>   public release of the Linux Kernel by Linus Torvalds.
>

> OVERVIEW
>   InstallFest is an opportunity for those who have never used Linux to have
>   more experienced users assist them in installing their computer and getting
>   it running with a Linux Distribution Operating System. All that is required
>   is for people wishing to have assistance to bring along their computer
>   in full to the venue, and others will help them install Linux. Every
>   question you can imagine will be answered as best as possible by a team of
>   volunteers.
>
>   Hackett Cafe is located near the sport/recreation centre. Taking Stirling
>   Highway, turn into the main entrance at the end of Thomas Road where the
>   Hackett Tower is located, turn back towards the city/river on the internal
>   road on the campus, and take the first turn on the right into the car
>   park by the sports centre. Parking is free on weekends in Yellow (student)
>   and Red (staff) parking bays. Buses run along Stirling highway from
>   the city Busport; there are several that take the same route; press the
>   bell on the bus to alight just at the traffic lights as you deviate along
>   Stirling highway away from the Swan River.
>
>   The venue is located on the ground floor up a small ramp. Access should
>   not be difficult for anyone. There will be signs around the campus to
>   help you find us. Please see the following URL for more help:
>
> 	     http://cwis.uwa.edu.au/maps/UWA-Map-std-l5-1-3.asp
>
> 		(with apologies for the above being an ASP)
>

>   This email serves two purposes: a call to arms for volunteers to assist
>   with installations or administration, and a call for people to come along
>   and try Linux, or come along and find out about it.
>
>   Volunteers are asked to attend on Saturday from 8:00am as we set up all
>   that will be required for the day. UWA has kindly agreed to let PLUG use
>   the venue for free, and patch us to the UWA computer network for ready
> [...]

Three things about the above:

1. A bit more notice, on a notice like the above (like at least two weeks),
would have been good, so as to be able to circulate the notice, with people (the
public) having adequate notice of the event.

2. An explanation, in the notice, of what Linux actually is (a computer game? a
peripheral device? a computer system?), for the uninformed public, would have
been good.

3. An unnnamed attachment does not bode well for an email message, in these
days of viral and worm infested messages. An unnamed attachment, which, while
the above three lined text gives a description of the type of attachment, that
is not shown with any attachment type in displaying the message, generally
inspires people to automatically delete messages. Using kmail, the attachment
was shown simply with a question mark icon, and, a link with "unnamed"as the
text on the link. Whilst the attachment may be a pgp signature, it was not
shown as such, in displaying the email message, thus giving an incentive to
immediately delete the message as either viral or wornm infested. Something to
consider, when using things like pgp signatures in email messages.

Bret Busby