[plug] Installfest 2001 - Announce & Details.

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 23 12:05:51 WST 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Bret Busby wrote:
[pages of quotes]

Jeez Brett. Did you have to quote the entire friggen article!? How many
times do you need to be told?

> 3. An unnnamed attachment does not bode well for an email message, in these

Interesting point. But the attachments were marked correctly by MIME type.
You can name a virus anything you want, and still mark it as executable.
Remember one called something like "AnnaKornikovaNaked.jpg" ? (sorry for
sp.)  Plenty of people just looked at the name, and executed it, but it
was really a VB script.
  Of course, some windoze mailers may choose how to handle an attachment
based on file name, rather than the stated MIME type, but thats just
wrong. Dont use such a program. (Outlook?)

> text on the link. Whilst the attachment may be a pgp signature, it was not
> shown as such, in displaying the email message, thus giving an incentive to

Simply because your mail-reader didnt have that capability. No harm done.

> immediately delete the message as either viral or wornm infested.

What incentive?  You believe in the "good times" virus? The virus cant do
anything unless YOU let it run, or your system is very badly configured,
e.g. by enabling VB-script in HTML e-mail on a windoze box.

   Anyway folks, good luck with the install-fest (I will be away).
I like Debian, but dont let the gurus persuade newbies to install it!
  Mandrake & RedHat are much so easier and smoother to install.

And P.S. James, did you really write that in nroff, or just faked it?

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--