[plug] Web database stuff - Bollocks

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Thu Aug 23 17:53:05 WST 2001

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 01:39:29PM +0800, Arkem wrote:
> I'm undertaking a project for a friend that involves creating a
> database and being able to manage it through the webpage (adding
> entries / searching / modifying entries)
[ snip ]
> So can someone give suggestions on possible ways I'd accomplish this
> and/or point me in the direction of perl/php3/whatever resources like
> guides or something?

I had a quick search via Google, having suspected there might already be
a generic something like this for Postgresql or MySQL, and indeed there
was....

http://www.cis-computer.com/software/dbengine/

There are almost certainly similar apps for MySQL.

With regards to your later question about differences between Postgres and
MySQL - well, the most notable difference is that PG supports referential
integrity (ie. foreign keys) and MySQL doesn't. For this reason alone I'd
recommend Postgres over MySQL for what you want to do.

There are other situations in which MySQL might be considered superior to
PG, but I'm not going to go into those (mainly becuase I don't know enough
about them :). Have a look at the propaganda on the respective websites and
see which looks more believable to you. :)

http://www.mysql.com/	(NOT http://www.mysql.org/)

http://www.postgresql.org/

> Thanks in advance,
>   Paul Chamberlain

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Real programmers don't draw flowcharts.  Flowcharts are, after all, the
illiterate's form of documentation.  Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how