[plug] can't telnet or ssh to spark

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 23 18:35:18 WST 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Matt Kemner wrote:

> It's spark being paranoid (as configured in hosts.deny)
> Aug 23 17:14:52 spark in.telnetd[24629]: warning: /etc/hosts.deny, line 15:
>     can't verify hostname:
>     gethostbyname(perax14-224.dialup.optusnet.com.au) failed
> Aug 23 17:14:52 spark in.telnetd[24629]: refused connect from 210.49.104.224

Thanks Matt. Actually it accepted the connection, then broke it.
It would be nice if it send that message to me before hanging up.

> I've just told spark to not be so paranoid on ssh, so you should be able
> to ssh in now.

Thanks. That explains why I couldnt telnet to UWA either.

And now I can see why the code-red knocks have stopped - Optusnet has
totally blocked port 80. They are only dial-up lines, but its a bit
drastic isnt it?  (They have left the netbios ports open.)

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--