[plug] Web database stuff - Bollocks

Greg Mildenhall assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Fri Aug 24 12:41:49 WST 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Mike wrote:
> At 09:02 AM 24/8/2001 +0800, you wrote:
> >Real Programmers definitely don't draw flow-of-control charts, because
> >Real Languages don't have an explicit flow of control.
> >_Dataflow_ charts are acceptable at a stretch.
> <groan> "Real Programmers" (someones TM) do that which is appropriate
> for the task at hand and are very unlikely to ignore any particular
> method for describing s/w or the planning of s/w.

You mean like wheels? Are you suggesting that Real Programmers are
unlikely to ignore the "wheel" method of describing or planning s/w?

> Superficial so called "Real Programmers" are influenced by fashion <:o

Yes, which means these Unreal Programmers end up using languages that lead
them to think flowcharts can be more useful than wheels.

> Anology for "Real Programmers" re flowcharting is like
> "Real men don't eat Quiche" should be replaced by,
> "Real men aren't influenced by cliches about not eating Quiche"

There are cliches about not using flowcharts? I wasn't even aware that it
was something that gets discussed - I presumed every Real Programmer
independently discovered the futility of flow-charts for themself.

-Greg