[plug] Web database stuff - Bollocks

Hook hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 24 21:00:47 WST 2001

Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Hook wrote:
> > Mike Holland wrote:
> > > I dont think so. Flow-charts went out with paper-tape and mainframes.
> > >   Perhaps you are confusing them with more modern charts, like object
> > > relationship diagrams? Flowcharts are procedural.
> > So, are you saying that no-one writes procedural code any more?
>
> Unfortunately, some people do, but we were talking about Real Programmers.
> Real programmers write procedural code in assembler, but they know not to
> write anything this way that is complicated enough to need a flow-chart.

I'm sure that there ought to be a "(TM)" following 'Real Programmers" !
Presumably, these are the same Real Programmers who are firmly prohibited
from writing pascal?

> > Oh, and mainframes still exist
>
> But the need for mainframes disappeared as our computing power grew, and
> our need for procedural programming and flow-charts went with it, so
> it's a fairly valid analogy.
>
> Of course the current acceleration in networking technology has meant that
> centralized compute-engines have started to make sense again, so
> mainframes may (ought) be on the way back.

I think they never actually left. Many are probably hiding out on those huge
airconditioned broom closets so beloved of large organisations (who said
'size doesn't matter' ??)

The Hooker