[plug] connecting to windoze databases from linux

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Sat Aug 25 15:53:21 WST 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:33:35PM +0800, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> Simon Scott wrote:
[ snip ]
> > I dont know of any ODBC *clients* for linux however.
>
> They exist.  http://www.jepstone.net/FreeODBC/.

And also iODBC - http://www.iodbc.org/

iODBC is the ODBC library used by wxWindows (a cross-platform (UNIX,
Windows, MacOS) C++ development library, primarily although not solely
intended for GUI development) on UNIX.

  What is wxWindows?
  wxWindows gives you a single, easy-to-use API for writing GUI
  applications on multiple platforms. Link with the appropriate library for
  your platform (Windows/Unix/Mac) and compiler (almost any popular C++
  compiler), and your application will adopt the look and feel appropriate
  to that platform. On top of great GUI functionality, wxWindows gives you:
  online help, network programming, streams, clipboard and drag and drop,
  multithreading, image loading and saving in a variety of popular formats,
  database support, HTML viewing and printing, and much much more.

  -- extract from http://www.wxwindows.org/

I think iODBC includes a few clients - at least a command-line client - for
accessing ODBC database servers as well, but unfortunately the site seems
to be down at the moment so I can't verify this. D'oh.

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Thus spake the master programmer:
	"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program