[plug] xdm

Rob Dunne robd at anville.wa.cmis.csiro.au
Mon Aug 27 13:09:28 WST 2001

Hi guys,
        thanks for all the help at the installfest.
I now have RH7.1 up and running except that
I have a problem getting an Xterminal to work.

1) tftp works and the Xterminal finds its boot files
2) I can open an application on the Xterminal ie
          lycra> xclock -display xterminal:0 &
3) xdm puts a login message on the Xterminal
        (actually this doesnt work now - the login prompt is there
          but I cant type the login in --  but it was working
         before I started changing things in the config
         files and will  work again -- I hope)

-- so everything appears to be back to the stage it
was before the upgrade -- but when I log in to the Xterminal,
it logs me out straight away!

I cant find any further information -- this is all the
/var/log/messages says

lycra>tail -f /var/log/messages
Aug 26 22:33:49 lycra xdm(pam_unix)[1008]:
                    session opened for user robd by (uid=0)
Aug 26 22:33:59 lycra xdm(pam_unix)[1008]:
                     session closed for user robd

T seem to have done everything recommended in the
documentation I have seen ie
XDM and X Terminal mini-HOWTO
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/XDM-Xterm.html

and

The Xterminal mini-HOWTO
 http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/mini/Xterminal

does anyong have any ideas or know of other documentation?

				      bye
					rob

--
 Rob Dunne         Fax: +61 8 9333 6121     Tel: +61 8 9333 6178
 CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences
 http://matilda.vu.edu.au/~dunne  Email: Robert.Dunne at cmis.csiro.au

        Java has certainly revolutionized marketing and litigation.