[plug] Download minder

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Aug 27 16:42:08 WST 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 04:23:20PM +0800, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 04:14:35PM +0800, Clinton Butler wrote:
> > Just wondering if there is a program under Linux that does similar
> > things as GetRight and NetVampire under windows..

Never having used them...

> > it resumes halted downloads from where they were p to.. very handy on a
> > modem connection.

...is this literally *all* they do? Wow.

In any case, Jason's advice to

> try wget.

is good advice. wget is one of my favourite and most-used programs.

wget -c http://www.blah.com/path/to/file.zip

will reget file.zip, assuming you have the partially-complete file.zip in
the current directory. Also assuming the server you are getting the file
from (www.blah.com) supports http partial transfers - some don't.

wget can also be used for ftp transfers.

> Regards,
> Jason Nicholls

Pete.
--