[plug] Web database stuff - Bollocks

Steve Vertigan steven at vertigan.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 29 22:58:49 WST 2001

Simon Scott wrote:

>         Why is it you PERL guys always say 'use PERL' at the drop of a hat?

Good question...

> PERL is more flexible. PERL can
> run nuclear power stations. PERL will make your toast in the morning. PERL
> aint for beginners. PERL will make your head explode.

And then you went and answered it for us. :-)

>         The poor guy obviously doesnt know his ass from his elbow, and wants
> to learn linux and web scripting, and you throw PERL at him? You correct him
> on his list of technologies (ie sql aint no scripting language) and then
> tell him to use one of the most complex and obscure languages known to man?

Actually he told him to use PHP if you read the message carefully unless
he is planning to lots of other scripting on his machine which is good
advice.  I started using perl primarily for CGI scripts but now I
probably use it even more for general stuff that would otherwise take an
expert knowledge of shell scripting.  IMO trying to run a Unix system
without Perl is like trying to find your way around Paris without
speaking French - probably possible but expect a lot of pain. :-)

Regards,
Steve
--
OpenBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org KLINK#1 i386
10:50AM  up 2 days,  6:47, 0 users, load averages: 0.20, 0.19, 0.12