[plug] Limewire

Steve Vertigan steven at vertigan.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 30 20:56:03 WST 2001

Sensei Miyagi wrote:

> > Yeah I've used it, slows my machine down to a crawl but it works.
> That's all i am after , I was told that LimeWire was the better of the mp3
> file sharers , have you had much to do with them ?

Just this and various napster clones.  The Gnutella network is the best
at the moment AFAIK.  It's also not just limited to mp3s - try
monitoring search queries and counting how many times "Britney Spears
naked" scrolls by. :-).  Only real negative is that seeing as it's not
an MP3 specific thing you don't get all the information that you did on
napster, it's mostly pot-luck getting a good one.  There are other linux
clients available for the gnutella network but none as advanced as
Limewire that I know of.

> I downloaded the Java runtime files last night  ( Not installed yet ) from
> memory about 15mb.. Are you saying not to download the linux version if you
> already have Java ?? If so which version did you end up installing ? I am
> running slackware 8.

I ended up downloading the "linux version" because I thought it was an
ELF binary that would run better than a java one.  From memory they had
a stand-alone java version which is smaller as they haven't bundled the
java interpreter.  They're both the same, just one is a smaller
download.

Regards,
Steve

--
OpenBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org KLINK#1 i386
 8:40AM  up 3 days,  4:37, 0 users, load averages: 0.34, 0.19, 0.16