[plug] sshd and telnetd problems

Arkem arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Fri Aug 31 22:36:00 WST 2001

> Ssh uses /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} as well, as it is compiled with
> libtcpwrap.

This is something I didn't know, thanks. ssh is now working it just
took a simple line in hosts.allow

> The fact that it allows a connection and then closes 2 seconds
> later sounds very suspiciously like a libtcpwrap thing.  Does your
> IP address resolve to a hostname that resolves back to your IP
> address? Under Debian, Check /var/log/daemon.log for telnet and
> /var/log/auth.log for ssh.

Thanks for this it was invaluable in helping me.

SSH is now working and working well but Telnet is still being funny,
now it will successfully connect (/var/log/daemon.log reports an
authorised connection) I get the issue statement (Debian
testing/unstable mornmist) and then nothing happens it just sits
there. If I try logging in as root I get connection closed by foreign
host (though I assume that's telnet saying I can't login as root).
Currently my hosts.deny has one line saying "ALL: ALL" and my
hosts.allow says (among other things) in.telnetd: local 192.168.0.
mornmist.2y.net

Anyone got any ideas?

Regards
Paul Chamberlain