[plug] sshd and telnetd problems

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Aug 31 21:00:20 WST 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Arkem wrote:

> I go to
> connect via ssh or telnet (from the same PC as the servers are
> running) and the connection establishes and then is closed
> "Connection closed by foriegn host"
>
> I've checked my hosts.allow and hosts.deny files and they are fine
> but are probably not the problem anyway since only telnet is launched
> through inetd.

Ssh uses /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} as well, as it is compiled with
libtcpwrap.

The fact that it allows a connection and then closes 2 seconds later
sounds very suspiciously like a libtcpwrap thing.  Does your IP address
resolve to a hostname that resolves back to your IP address?
Under Debian, Check /var/log/daemon.log for telnet and /var/log/auth.log
for ssh.
Under Redhat, check /var/log/messages for both (I think)

Look for entries like:

warning: /etc/hosts.deny, line 15: host name/address mismatch:

or similar.

What do your hosts.* files say?

 - Matt