[plug] "Illegal" characters in samba mounts?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 21:15:46 WST 2001

Howdy folks,

Having just set up a Samba file server on our home
gateway (yay!), I've noticed that it seems to have the
problem of not allowing certain characters.

Elaboration:

If I create a file "Is this my file?.txt" inside the
Samba share, it looks fine on that computer's
filesystem. If I then mount the share on my main Linux
box, the filename comes up as "ISTHI~UL.TXT".

It would seem that Samba itself is compensating for
the fact that Windows can't have characters such as ?
in its filenames, so it translates them for the share.
Pity it affects fellow Linux/Samba clients as well...

This only affects me, because the other two clients
are Windows boxes which can't use those type of
filenames anyway. But all the same, it would be nice
to disable this somehow, maybe as an option to mount
on the client...

Any ideas?

TIA
Andrew

=====
"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
- Get organised for Christmas early this year!