[plug] "Illegal" characters in samba mounts?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 23:15:58 WST 2001

> Is the file you are creating on a hard disk that is
> physically in a Windows box? If it is, Windows won't
> store the filename with the '?' but just the DOS
> filename.

No, both machines are Linux. The filename is stored on
the disk correctly, it's just not being translated
through Samba correctly.

Also, if I then try to (on the client machine) rename
the translated file to the long version with the ?, it
says the file already exists. So it looks like it's
just a display thing more or less, but copying the
file back from the Samba mount still has the wrong
name :(

Re Craig's point: No, I don't make filenames like "*
Conditions apply.txt" :)  It's just for this single
solitary MP3 from one of my albums, which technically
should have a question mark. I could always leave it
out, I suppose, but...

Andrew

=====
"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
- Get organised for Christmas early this year!