[plug] "Illegal" characters in samba mounts?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 10:09:47 WST 2001

> > This is a problem with MP3's.  The best rule is to
> > have the ID3 tags correct with the '?' in it and
> > have a close approximation in the file name.
>
> If it's for MP3's I agree totally. The question mark
> shouldn't be that important, and the IDv3 (or even
> IDv1) tag should have the question mark anyway. xmms
> and WinAmp both can read in tags upon loading.

Hmm, I'll probably have to do that then... Thanks
folks.

> BTW, if this is just for sharing MP3s, why not try a
> v.small Apache and
> Apache-MP3 combo? It allows streaming, fatching, and
> relies on the IDv3
> tag instead of the filename...

a) It's a general file share, not just MP3s, and
b) I'm not really wanting to play the files over the
network (a bit slow, only 10Mb). It's just for storage
mostly.

> And Apache supports .htpasswd and Listen
> for that touch of security (ie people on the net not
> stealing bandwidth
> cos they found that MP3 they've been looking for).
> Just a thought.

Firewall. And listed interfaces for Samba. It's not a
public server yet (one day ;)

> PS Sorry, I was a bit too tactless re:- my
> comments... It's seemed too odd
> a Q from someone who's just set up Samba :)

No worries, I admit it _was_ a bit odd :)

Andrew

=====
"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
- Get organised for Christmas early this year!