[plug] Bandwidth shaping

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Dec 4 09:16:31 WST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Brian Tombleson wrote:

> Anyone know of any simple bandwidth shaping tools for a Debian (potato)
> system?  Simply put, I need to ensure that certain protocols will always
> have a minimum level of bandwidth available when they need it.
>
> Everything I've found so far is either a theoretical discussion or requires
> network modules to be re-compiled (which I've only ever had troubles with).
>
> The CBQ reference page (http://www.aciri.org/floyd/cbq.html) says that
> support for it has been in the Linux kernel since 2.0.x, but I can't find
> any practical help.

It is in the kernel I thiink you need to install ther iproute2 package
(/sbin/ip)
and compile the kernel with support for that (QoS)

The other option as James pointed out is shaperd, BUT CBQ is really flexible
Check out ftp://ftp.equinox.gu.net/pub/linux/cbq/cbq.init for a reasonable
demo.

HTH

Yours Tony.

/*