[plug] Odd lpr "forwarding" problem

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 16:30:45 WST 2001

Hi guys,

We have the following setup:

+---+    +---+      +---+
| A |<---| B |<--+--| c |
+---+    +---+   |  +---+

                 |  +---+
                 +--| D |
                 |  +---+
                etc.

where A is a public machine, B is an office
gateway/firewall, and C, D, etc are workstations.

All machines have lpd running, with a printer called
"fax" set up on each.

When we print from a workstation, that particular
workstation uses the "rm=B" syntax to pass the job on
to the gateway's lpd, which then has "rm=A" to send it
to the public machine. (That machine then runs it
through mgetty+sendfax).

Problem is, on one of the workstations (say, C) when
we print, it goes to B, but B then never passes it on
to A. We know this from lpd's -l mode, which shows the
job being received on B, then A is supposed to receive
it from B, but for this one machine the last step
never happens.

Syntax in the printcap files _appear_ to be correct,
as does hosts.lpd, etc.

Any ideas?

TIA
Andrew

=====
"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
- Free CDs for thousands of Priority Shoppers!