[plug] VNC configuration

Jason Belcher jason at whatever.iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 10 08:47:36 WST 2001

Victoria wrote:

> [plug] VNC configuration
>
> Victoria <marks at omninet.net.au>
>
> Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:33:24 +0800

> "plug at plug.linux.org.au" <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
>

>Hi all
>

>I have a couple of questions on vnc server and X vncclient configuration
>that
>don't seem to be covered in the documentation. At least not  that I
>could find.
>
>I would like to start the vnc server on the host system by telnet in and
>starting
>vncsever options hostname :1
>
>Each time I start it however vncsever leaves behind in
>/tmp/X11-unix/,   a file  =X1..X2 and so on each time its started
>hence I need to choose a higher display number each time am I doing
>something wrong?
>Do I need to write some kind of script of my own to tidy up when
>vncserver is shutdown.

Using vncserver -kill :1 should remove that file and shut down the vnc
server. But (depending on your access control) you shouldn't need to
shutdown/restart the server for each new workstation you're running the
client on. You should just be able to give vncclient the IP address of
the server, display number and password and the same session will appear
on the new workstation.

>Is there any way to have the sound mixer attach to any display rather
>than just :0
>ie display :1 on the vncserver ?

export DISPLAY=:1 (bash)
setenv DISPLAY=:1 (csh/tcsh)

and then the command to run your sound mixer

HTH

Jason