[plug] UMSDOS for Debian

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Dec 10 22:44:59 WST 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 08:42:55PM +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
>         Any debian guru's there is there a UMSDOS (linux on dos)
> filesystem solution for debian because i would like to put debian on my
> mums computer which is a 1ghz but its already partitioned and installed
> with all partition space used and resizing is too risky.

Trent,

UMSDOS support can be compiled into the kernel or as a module. If
you're installing debian potato, I recall that you have the option
to load the umsdos module for reading those partitions. Just try a
"modprobe umsdos" and see if it works (replying with nothing is a good
sign), but you must be root to do so.

The only shortcoming to doing it this way is if your root (/)
filesystem is on such a UMSDOS drive, in which case you will need to
compile support for it into a custom kernel. If you need help with
this email me or the list, and we'll be happy to help. There's also
the Kernel-HOWTO for starters.

HTH,

Bernard.

--