[plug] Sid

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Dec 11 13:26:22 WST 2001

> I take a different approach. I use Woody and if there's something from Sid
> that I want I download it separately from the Debian site. I keep up with all
> the Woody updates which seems to be about 50-100 mb per week or so. This
> seems to work for me. I'm relatively conservative though because I really
> hate it when my computer isn't working. I get a few broken installs even on
> Woody.
That's how I reccomend doing it. I run sid at home because I want to be
able to assist devel efforts somehow, and I'm a useless C coder. At work
I run woody and update packages from sid when and where required - eg
the latest squid which finially has --config-netfilter compiled in after
I begged and pleaded...

Sid is hell on a modem. "apt-get some-tiny-package' and if there is a
rebuild of something _vaguely_ related (ie in the deps of the package
even as suggested) it'll fetch it as well. Including libc6. So you find
yourself downloading 20mb to get a 250k program.

Sid is for testing by people with fast connections and good backups.
I've got cable and I still can't stay up-to-date 'cos I'd hit my
3G/month limit!

So you might want to run woody and use select sid packages for things
you like to run on the bleeding edge (eg mozilla, maybe kernel, etc).