[plug] quark

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Dec 11 16:02:48 WST 2001

> You can buy vmware for the outrageous price of US$299.  It allows you to
> run Windows as a task under Linux.  It is very good software if you've got
> enough RAM.  I think it requires a true Pentium processor - at least the
> version my brother purchased.  You can also download an evaluation.  This
> may be a good solution for you if you don't succeed with Wine.
Urk, I'd prefer to dig out a couple of half-dead P100s and build a
working one to run win98 on for the purpose. I use a KVM switch
extensively anyway.

I've actually had a few things run in wine that _didn't_ in windows, due
to dodgy drivers. Of course, that was with a windows partition and a
different situation entirely.

Wine with no windows doesn't seem to work well at all, I'll agree there.
Too many apps are dependent on being able to embed things like IE, use
DirectX, and other high-level windows services that wine can't provide.
Hopefully they'll get there, esp. if the MS settlement grows a brain and
stops requiring "commercial entities" before info disclosure *arrggh*.

Thanks anyway