[plug] nvidia/suse 7.3 blues

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:54:37 WST 2001

Hey up! :)

Anyway, on a mate's PC, we turned it into a SuSE 7.3 box. He's got an nVidia
card so I went to install the drivers. The drivers installed properly but
they didn't work. Why? Because nVidia drivers use XFree86 4 as they rightly
should, but SuSE, in an effort to be "funky", have 4 installed but have all
the configuration files in the standard XF86Config file  (utilised by
version 3) instead in the XF86Config-4 file, where it should be.

The problem we have here is that something is ponting to *-4 (* meaning
XF86Config) instead of * (which it normally should be). Does anyone know
what file I can edit to point it in the direction of * instead of *-4?

This is what was written when the error of not starting up was found:
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"

I tried editing the .log file in vain, as it is just a log file, but does
anyone know what file I do need to edit?

cheers lads!
nhoJ