[plug] security of linux desktops re mail viri

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Dec 13 12:11:42 WST 2001

> Employees do no have the right to free internet during company time.
Actually, it hasn't proven an issue here so far. Most who use it do so
sparingly to check mail, etc. 90% of the 'net use here seems to be for
work.

Most people here just dont' care about the net and wouldn't really know
how to use it anyway....

I don't see the need to do anything drastically restrictive unless it
becomes an issue.

> [advice]
thanks, but all implemented already or getting there. For example, none
of the windows machines have floppy drives installed, if they want to
read a floppy they come to me.

> Funny, but I haven't seen a virus is aaaaaages!!
I just cleaned out another outlook user's PC the other day. Their own
fault, but they didn't know about outlook - classic home user taken in
by MS drivel and lack of knowledge of alternatives. They're now Eudora
users.

> I'd Also suggest the Outlook filter mentioned on El Reg
> (theregister.co.uk) for everyone to block HTML encoded e-mails...
I'd suggest not going near outlook unless its with a chainsaw.

--
Craig Ringer
IT Manager