[plug] security of linux desktops re mail viri

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 12 22:55:42 WST 2001

Employees do no have the right to free internet during company time.

Set a mail server to scan e-mail for virii (pref. AVP), run a Samba PDC
(and right click on my documents on the desktop to change it to the home
dir), set transparent proxy + virilator Squid virii scanning, and disable
the floppy drive on the reception and juniors' machines.
Log squid requests and show the employees what you keep for legal
purposes.

Funny, but I haven't seen a virus is aaaaaages!!

I'd Also suggest the Outlook filter mentioned on El Reg
(theregister.co.uk) for everyone to block HTML encoded e-mails...

Regards,

Craig Foster

PS Sorry for the bluntness of the PC versus Linux virus debate, but if
they're blocked at the firewall, the PC's are just as safe as anything
else. I remember one virus book told you how to use debug to create
viruses from the keyboard - try stopping that one!!