[plug] Linux Network Support

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 14 09:45:37 WST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 09:06, skribe wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:53, Grahame Bowland wrote:
>
> > Get yourself a Netgear FA310TX, the Linux support is great and they're
> > very cheap these days; use the "tulip" driver.
>
> I concur.  Very nice.  Surprisingly, while I've never had any problems
> running linux with my FA310 card the windows driver is as buggy as.  When I
> was running windows I'd get a network connection about once every three
> reboots.

I found that with my PII/400; surprisingly enough it turned out that
tweaking the PCI latency in the bios did it. Linux just ignored the BIOS
value so it was fine. I found in windows that if the latency was at the
default. sound would "squak" (ens1371/sb pci 64) and the NIC hardly ever
worked (netgear)

It was all extremely strange!

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G