[plug] Linux Network Support

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Dec 14 12:49:30 WST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:01:48AM +0800, Craig Foster wrote:
> Kingmax NICs! Urgh!! Had lots of them timeout using the linux drivers of
> yore (18 mths back)
Oh. Well I've recently snapped 2 and binned them because of timeouts,
refusal to talk to certain other cards, etc - and they were installed in
windows machines. So it seems the cards are just garbage.

> I'd recommend anything with a Intel 2114x or DEC 2114x chip. (Intel bought
> DEC's good old "tulip" chips :)
> I'd also recommend NetGear FA-310TX for a named tulip card (DEC 21140
> chip).
> (that's if J.Mills can keep open unlike EdSys round the corner - Do'h!
> :P )
I have found the RealTek 8139 based cards to be very good. Most no-name
10/100 cards have this chipset, and to tell the truth I've never had the
slightest issue with it, and netgear cards have given me hell with
compatability at times.

--
Craig Ringer
IT Manager