[plug] RE: Linux Ghosting from a small hard drive to a large one?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 19 09:47:43 WST 2001

Hello, Sia.

At 11:10 18/12/01 -0800, you wrote:
> > Does anyone out there know how to copy exactly what is on a 6 GB hard disk
> > (running only Linux) to a 20 GB hard disk?   Both of these disks are

You might want to look in the archives on the Plug website.  Around
mid-August there was a bit of discussion on the same issue.  If I recall
correctly Leon Brooks mentioned a quite a variety of alternatives.  If the
drives were the same size then dd could be used (man dd for info) but your
case is for different sizes.

The Hard Disk Upgrade mini-HowTo
http://www.storm.ca/~yan/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html may be useful
reading.  Other hard disk info and general documentation is available in
the Linux Documentation Project for which the (a??) Perth mirror is
http://www.linux.org.au/LDP/

With a 20 gig drive you will need to be careful that you keep the boot
partition inside the first 1024 cylinders and you may also need to upgrade
/ adjust settings in the BIOS to ensure the volume can be booted.

Hope this helps,
Denis